Thursday 4 December 2014

CrimingWhileWhite Hashtag Puts White Privilege And Racial Bias By Law Enforcement On Blast

One of the major issues with how Eric Garner lost his life is the fact that he was stopped and brought down by multiple cops over something as trivial as loose cigarettes (which they allege that he was selling). According to Garner’s own words before he was fatally choked by Officer Daniel Pantaleo, he felt that the cops, or perhaps the particular cop he was venting to, harassed him often in his neighborhood when he felt that he wasn’t doing anything at all: - See more at: http://madamenoire.com/493683/crimingwhilewhite-hashtag-puts-white-privilege-racial-bias-law-enforcement-blast/#sthash.HnrsvVhy.dpuf

Every time you see me, you want to mess with me. I’m tired of it….I’m minding my business, officer, I’m minding my business. Please just leave me alone. I told you the last time, please just leave me alone.”
Because of New York’s broken windows policy of policing (the idea of keeping “urban environments in a well-ordered condition” by trying to go after people for small crimes in order to keep larger ones from happening), that’s why we saw four men take down one man over something so small. Officer Pantaleo would go on to claim that he needed to use the chokehold in order to take Garner down and arrest him. Again, not because Garner had a weapon, was harming someone, harming police or destroying property–but because of some loosies, folks.
These type of aggressive interactions with law enforcement aren’t new for black people, but for white folks? There interactions with police are nowhere near as violent and confrontational.  A white man literally was caught on tape beating up two officers who were trying to arrest him, and nobody pulled out a gun, a baton or anything. At the most, he was hit with a taser

No comments:

Post a Comment